Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why Do Advertisers Think Creepy is Couture?

For the last month or so, the huge mall area called Stellar Place (attached to Sapporo Station) has has some advertisements that make me think of creepy movies, like The Ring.  Maybe I still have an overactive imagination, but let me share what I think when I see the pictures that haunt me whenever I walk by.  I took a fashion brochure this past weekend when I was in Sapporo, and the photos in the brochure only reinforced my image that the people behind this attempt at couture fashion are weird at best, creepy at worst. 


I took the liberty of uploading a few of the photos from the brochure, and I included the narrative that first came to mind as I saw these strange advertisements. I did not edit anything into or out of the photos.  I did not crop any of the photos. Someone, somewhere, actually thought that these photos were a good idea and a great way to sell clothes.  


Decide for yourself. 


Once upon a time, there were two frumpy child-women,

who liked to time travel,



and kept their lesbian relationship a closely guarded secret. 




One day, an unfortunate man discovered their secret.


They decided to take action...


First they camouflaged themselves and stalked their prey, 


then they tried staring him to death with mindspells. 


That didn't work, so they became more resourceful.


Finally, they found a solution...


...problem solved. 


They lived creepily ever after. 


The End. 




Hollywood, call me!

3 comments:

  1. Soooooooooo creepy! Why Japan, why?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very relevant: http://movieclips.com/9n3Vp-the-shining-movie-come-play-with-us/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one to see the horror flick potential in this. The Shining is the movie I was trying to think of...definitely relevant...

    ReplyDelete